The Mount Horrocks Watervale Riesling vineyard, in the north eastern corner of this famous Clare Valley subregion, is planted on the very edge of the highly rized red soil over limestone. Surrounded completely by open land where cattle graze, its relative isolation benefits the strict application of organic practices which Stephanie has adopted.
“I really enjoy vintage and the weeks leading up to picking” says Stephanie, “the time spent every morning in the vineyard, sampling and tasting the fruit is my favourite. The decision to pick is so important because I have such small quantities to work with and its so valuable,it is imperative I get it right.”
Once the decision is made, a team of 25 pickers hand harvest the crop within two days, while it’s at that critical point of ripeness.
Every few hours, as the harvesting continues, a small truck shuttles the grapes to the winery to process the freshly picked fruit. After removal of stalks and gentle crushing, the free-run juice is separated – the only component used for Mount Horrocks wines. With exclusively free run juice used Stephanie has, for decades, found it unnecessary to fine any wine made, meaning all of Stephanie’s wines not only qualify for European organic wine status, they are also vegan and vegetarian friendly.
An outstanding limited release Riesling of the highest echelon, regularly acknowledged among the finest in Australia and admired around the world.
Classically pale and bright. Super-fragrant – floral aromatics leap from the glass.
Crunchy crisp lemon-lime juiciness, steely, slate mineral tones and a really long line of acidity. It’s pristine, pretty, delicate and rounded yet with the strength (backbone) to age for years to come: 15 years plus. Stunning
- Wines to Enjoy New Years Eve 2016 Mount Horrocks Watervale Riesling By Tony Love This Clare Valley classic offers a little more than straight citrus, with smells of meadow hay and orchard flowers to start before that suck of a lemon quarter and exotic zest of lime. This is, however, a warm summer’s day refreshment that is more than simply razored acidity. Best ...
- Winsor Dobbin’s Choice 2016 WATERVALE RIESLING 96 POINTS The sample bottle, from which I was just pouring occasional sips, is mysteriously empty. “How the hell did that happen?” I ask myself. Only one answer; it was so darn delicious that I drank the entire bottle without noticing. I don’t advise anyone to follow my lead, but I can assure you ...
- “Just unreal” 2016 Mount Horrocks Watervale Riesling 95 Points By Mike Bennie Scintillating, pure, vibrant Riesling. An epee thrust of citrus, green apple, crushed slate-like minerality. It’s got so much energy, feels so pent up, tight, squeaky, impressively long. It’s for drinking now with vigour, or lazing over after a couple of decades in the cellar. Just unreal. Wine Business Monthly Jan/Feb ...
- “Stunning…gorgeous” 2016 Mount Horrocks Watervale Riesling By Campbell Mattinson winefront.com.au 96 Points This is a stunning riesling. So dry, so slatey, so well fruited, so charming and so long. It’s Clare to its back teeth. Lemon-lime, florals, spice and that characteristic bath salts character. The purity and the sheer deliciousness of the citrus flavours on offer here deserve a mention in ...
- James Halliday Wine Companion 2017 Mount Horrocks Watervale Riesling 2015 By James Halliday 97 points The Best Mount Horrocks Riesling so far tasted. It has a blossom-filled bouquet, but best of all, an exquisitely poised palate, juicy lime/lemon fruit in a filigree of bright acidity, leaving the mouth at peace with the world.