450 cases produced
If you love supple, smooth shiraz then this wine’s for you.
Handmade in every sense of the word, Stephanie’s 4 acre (1.7hectare) shiraz is exclusively from her Alexander Vineyard, a beautiful site just to the north-east of the Watervale township, at the foot of Mount Horrocks. Made with a very traditional winemaking approach: 100% handpicked and partial whole bunch foot crushed, with the balance cold soaked on skins and fermented in purpose-built vessels which allow gentle plunging of the cap to extract maximum colour, flavour and tannins. It then spends 18 months in 40% new French oak barriques.
Deep dark crimson. Voluptuous dark fruits, mocha coffee and sweet spice.Juicy rich red fruits wrapped in a velvety cloak of fine oak, all spice, black fruit, seamless tannin and a succulent finish. Polished and poised yet primed to cellar to 2030 or beyond.Continue reading →
- James Halliday Wine Companion 2018 ‘Alexander Vineyard’ Shiraz 2015 96 Points By James Halliday Manages to be unashamedly full-bodied and decidedly complex, yet retains perfect balance, with a fresh, juicy quality reflecting its modest alcohol. There is a rainbow of fruit flavours on the long palate and lingering aftertaste.
- Australian & New Zealand Wines of the Year 2017 Mount Horrocks Clare Valley Alexander Vineyard Shiraz 2015 By Tyson Stelzer 94 Points There is a wonderful, effortless harmony to this vintage, comfortably and perfectly balancing tangy brightness, black-fruited depth, spicy intrigue and fine-grained, mineral, Watervale tannins. It’s all underlined by supportive dark chocolate French oak. One of the greats from Mount Horrocks, compelling from the outset, ...
- “elegant flavours” 2015 Mount Horrocks Alexander Shiraz By John Fordham Classic presentation of deep, richly-flavoured Clare Valley Shiraz with ring-master Stephanie Toole on top of her game from her precise fruit selection through to her wizardry on the winery floor. Spicy, succulent, elegant flavours and a lingering velvety finish guarantee a super red wine experience. The Sunday Telegraph 21st May 2017
- “It’s quite exemplary” 2015 Mount Horrocks Clare Valley Shiraz By Campbell Mattison 93 POINTS Don’t be fooled by mention of whole bunches; this is syrupy and smooth and harmonious, its twiggy/herbal/bunchy characters sucked straight into the fruit of the wine and then smooth-sealed by oak. There’s nothing yin and yang about this; it presents as a seamless whole. Ultra fine tannin seems right ...
- Top 100 Wines 2014 Mount Horrocks Shiraz 95 Points By Tony Love This certified organic wine brings a more subtle approach to Clare Shiraz than many others. With great control of the fragrance, terrific integration and balance in the oak treatment, the shiraz remains clear-headed, encouraged by brighter, crimson fruit characters, juiciness and drinkability in a medium to full-bodied structural package. ...