450 cases produced
Estate grown, single vineyard, certified organic. We love this wine! Full of character and class, the 2016 Alexander Vineyard is a supple, smooth shiraz of tremendous style.
Initially inspired by Stephanie’s love of Rhone wines, her deft handling of fruit from this unique vineyard has resulted in the most stylish of shiraz wines, accurately reflecting the cooler vineyard site yet defying the common preconception of the bolder Clare Valley Shiraz. This is a result of the gently northerly sloping low but even site, the Alexander Vineyard sits isolated – a perfect site in the north eastern most corner of the Watervale subregion.
This is hand made with a very traditional winemaking approach: handpicked and partial whole bunch foot-crushed, with the balance cold soaked on skins then fermented in purpose-built vessels which allow gentle extraction of colour, flavour and tannins. The wine then spent 18 months maturation in 40% new French oak barriques prior to blending and bottling then bottle aged for nine months before release.
Deep crimson-purple with youthful edge.Continue reading →
Pretty red fruits with vanillin spice – , more restrained and stylish, compared to the 2015
Blueberry & spice, velvet textured, vibrant fruit cloaked in classy oak. This is succulent and juicy, generously flavoured and with mouth puckering fine tannins. Stylish new world shiraz that stands out for its appealing mid-weight texture – refreshing in our world of big-boned beefy Australian reds. Cellar for 15 years with ease but fabulous now with Moroccan lamb.
- James Halliday Wine Companion 2018 ‘Alexander Vineyard’ Shiraz 2015 96 Points By James Halliday Manages to be unashamedly full-bodied and decidedly complex, yet retains perfect balance, with a fresh, juicy quality reflecting its modest alcohol. There is a rainbow of fruit flavours on the long palate and lingering aftertaste.
- Australian & New Zealand Wines of the Year 2017 Mount Horrocks Clare Valley Alexander Vineyard Shiraz 2015 By Tyson Stelzer 94 Points There is a wonderful, effortless harmony to this vintage, comfortably and perfectly balancing tangy brightness, black-fruited depth, spicy intrigue and fine-grained, mineral, Watervale tannins. It’s all underlined by supportive dark chocolate French oak. One of the greats from Mount Horrocks, compelling from the outset, ...
- “elegant flavours” 2015 Mount Horrocks Alexander Shiraz By John Fordham Classic presentation of deep, richly-flavoured Clare Valley Shiraz with ring-master Stephanie Toole on top of her game from her precise fruit selection through to her wizardry on the winery floor. Spicy, succulent, elegant flavours and a lingering velvety finish guarantee a super red wine experience. The Sunday Telegraph 21st May 2017
- “It’s quite exemplary” 2015 Mount Horrocks Clare Valley Shiraz By Campbell Mattison 93 POINTS Don’t be fooled by mention of whole bunches; this is syrupy and smooth and harmonious, its twiggy/herbal/bunchy characters sucked straight into the fruit of the wine and then smooth-sealed by oak. There’s nothing yin and yang about this; it presents as a seamless whole. Ultra fine tannin seems right ...
- Top 100 Wines 2014 Mount Horrocks Shiraz 95 Points By Tony Love This certified organic wine brings a more subtle approach to Clare Shiraz than many others. With great control of the fragrance, terrific integration and balance in the oak treatment, the shiraz remains clear-headed, encouraged by brighter, crimson fruit characters, juiciness and drinkability in a medium to full-bodied structural package. ...