380 cases produced
100% estate grown and certified organic, the grapes are carefully hand harvested in the cool of the morning and sent straight to the winery where they are destemmed, crushed and gently pressed. The free-run juice is isolated and settled prior to fermenting in French oak barriques, one-third of which are new. Only 15 barrels were made.
Each barrel is stirred weekly for three months then left on gross lees for a total of 9 months. Then in November Stephanie conducts a series of tastings to determine the final blend. Once assembled it is bottled without fining, so it is not only produced organically, but also suitable for vegans and vegetarians.
Light white gold.
Garden herbs and apple over lightly toasty, spiced oak.
Bright and tight, crisp and textured, this has layers of fruit and gentle oak. Citrus peel and green apple, baked pear and hazelnut praline even, with a creamy texture and a long dry finish. Super-stylish, flavoursome yet not heavy. Perfect with roast or grilled poultry.
Will cellar easily to 10 or more years.
- James Halliday Wine Companion 2018 Semillon 2016 95 Points It is barrel -fermented, yet the oak is under tight control, acting as a framework for the fruit, which remains centre stage, zesty and tangy, but with lemon curd joining the lemon citrus fruit of the long lingering finish. By James Halliday
- Australian & New Zealand Wines of the Year 2017 Mount Horrocks Clare Valley Semillon 2015 By Tyson Stelzer 95 Points The ninth vintage from the Alexander vineyard in the north-east corner of Watervale, as always it’s 100% barrel fermented, matured and lees stirred in 40% new oak for eight months. You’d never guess the oak or maturation regime from its pale straw hue or its fragrant apple ...
- Wine Business Monthly Magazine 2015 Semillon 95 POINTS By Tyson Stelzer You’d never guess the oak or maturation regime from its pale straw hue or fragrant apple and lemon blossom bouquet. Even the palate possesses a tension and purity that belie its structural complexity. This is the classiest, purest and most thrilling semillon from Mount Horrocks yet, with an endurance to rival ...
- James Halliday Wine Companion 2017 Mount Horrocks Semillon 2015 95 Points. Creamy oak, intense stone fruit and citrus, sizzling length. Style, flavour and the finishing touches of quality. A bright, clear beauty. CM
- James Halliday Magazine 2014 Mount Horrocks Clare Valley Semillon By James Halliday 94 Points As always, 100% barrel-fermented and matured. It is Semillon that is all layered richness and texture, with some toasty notes awaiting the little butter destined to appear in a couple of years. Acidity provides cleansing balance and length. February/March 2016