380 CASES PRODUCED
Once again, beautiful fruit from the cool and later 2017 vintage, this is an outstanding example of wood-aged semillon. Its fine, lemony fruit is enhanced by the oak maturation which provides structure and spice notes.
100% estate grown and certified organic, the grapes are carefully hand harvested in the cool of the morning and sent straight to the winery where they are destemmed, crushed and gently pressed. The free-run juice is isolated and settled prior to fermenting in French oak barriques, one-third of which are new.
Each barrel is stirred weekly for three months then left on gross lees for a total of nine months when Stephanie conducts a series of tastings to determine the final blend. Once assembled it is bottled without fining.
Very pale white gold.Continue reading →
Dried wildflower and lightly stewed apple over nuanced spicy oak. Crisp, lightly savoury, lemony Semillon with texture and length. Layered and flavoursome yet relatively light and bright for what is a wood-aged white, the pristine fruit shining through on the finish, balanced by chalky acidity. Sips nicely on its own but truly shines with grilled white fish or poultry.
Worth cellaring through to 2028.
- Halliday Wine Companion 2019 2017 Mount Horrocks Semillon 95 Points By Campbell Mattinson Crisp and textural at once. The focus is acute. Lemon curd, citrus, cedar spice and a whisper of herbs. Beautiful wine, for now or for later. James Halliday Wine Companion 2019
- Australian Gourmet Traveller WINE 2016 Mount Horrocks Semillon, Clare Valley By Huon Hooke 92 Points This is an excellent young Semillon which emphasises ripe floral aromas combined with subtle use of nutty oak, and no hint of grassiness. The wine is alive and intense in the mouth with a finish of lemon zest and fresh flowers. One of Stephanie Toole’s best yet. Gourmet ...
- Sunday Telegraph 2016 Semillon By John Fordham Striking 100 percent barrel-fermented Clare Valley Semillon that points to winemaker Stephanie Toole’s skillful handling of the variety. Zesty citrus characters weave their way through a riveting palate journey, with an abundance of crisp, textured and creamy flavours in the wings. Sunday Telegraph 16th July 2017
- The Advertiser 2016 Mount Horrocks Semillon, Clare Valley By Tony Love Five Stars In a league of its own, this is semillon on steroids (in a truly great way), barrel-fermented in 40 per cent new oak that shows in its faintly smoky/charry nose yet never dominating the citrus zest and lemon curd fruit. Once you dwell further, there’s more than ...
- James Halliday Wine Companion 2018 Semillon 2016 95 Points It is barrel -fermented, yet the oak is under tight control, acting as a framework for the fruit, which remains centre stage, zesty and tangy, but with lemon curd joining the lemon citrus fruit of the long lingering finish. By James Halliday