This is the eighth release of Stephanie’s wonderful Sicily-inspired Nero D’Avola – a wine that with its moderate weight, juicy fruit and lively tannins, delivers a delicious alternative to Clare Valley’s cabernets and shiraz.
Hand harvested grapes are cold-oaked prior to a nine day ferment with daily plunging to ensure ideal colour, flavour and tannin extraction. The wine then spends twelve months maturation in French oak barriques (20% of which are new) prior to bottling and ageing prior to release.
Bright red with lifted, generous red berry fruits. Bursting with tart cherry and other red berries, this is a lively, bright red of moderate weight and terrific appeal. There’s a clever balance of fruit lift and savoury tannins that makes the wine very more-ish. Drink now to eight to ten years.Continue reading →
- Gourmet Traveller WINE2018 Mount Horrocks Nero d’Avola By Toni Paterson Wines to Cellar This is the seventh release of nero d’Avola from Mount Horrock’s Watervale vineyard. The fruit is pristine and captivating, with musk, cherry and a hint of sarsaparilla. It has an elegant, medium body, with respectful framing tannins providing ample structural support. Time will reveal further aromatic layers ...
- WBM MagazineMount Horrocks, Clare Valley 2018 Nero d’Avola 93 Points Stephanie Toole is building a little more courage and confidence with her Nero, and the result is her most sophisticated release yet. Classy French oak tannins provide the most compelling framework that she has assembled for deep black fruits. It promises great things in the medium term. Patience. By Tyson Stelzer WBM ...
- The Real ReviewMount Horrocks 2018 Nero d’Avola 93 Points Medium purple colour with red edges. Crisp red berries, red cherries and cranberries ahead of mandarin skins and blood orange. It’s rich and agile; red berry freshness returns again to lift freshness and sapidity. An effortless class to it. By Nick Butler The Real Review 23rd March 2020
- The Real Review2017 Mount Horrocks Nero d’Avola By Toni Paterson 95 Points A divine wine with glorious fragrance with cranberry and raspberry fruit and hints of orange peel. The medium-bodied palate is tight and bright and tart cherry flavours and a hint of vanilla. It is breezy, elegant and ethereal and is representative of the skill of its maker. The Real ...
- Halliday Wine Companion 2020Mount Horrocks Nero d’Aovla 2017 95 points This meduim-bodied wine is the 6th release. Hand-picked and open-fermented, matured in French barriques (20% new) for 12 months. It is fresh and bright; red fruits and fine, savoury tannins equally matched; juicy acidity the umpire signalling victory for the nero.