Mount Horrocks Watervale Riesling 2022
900 CASES PRODUCED
Mount Horrocks’ Watervale Riesling Vineyard is a very high (475 metre) vineyard planted on red loam over limestone, a profile that occurs throughout the sub-region and considered to be ‘classic’ for Watervale riesling.
However that’s where the similarities end. The vineyard is on a gentle slope, facing south. Combined with the high altitude, this makes it a particularly cool spot, ideal for retaining freshness and a crisp palate while allowing generous fruit flavours to develop.
Then there is the biodynamic and organic certification – strictly no chemical input here or in the surrounding land, also owned by Mount Horrocks.
In what is now often considered ‘old fashioned’ all fruit is hand harvested – better for the vines as well as the fruit which is then delivered to the winery in a pristine state.
The 2022 Mount Horrocks Watervale Riesling is a beautiful, delicious wine, its concentration reflecting the carefully managed crop load and excellent health of the vines..
The intensity of flavour and balance this wine exhibits are a delight – a convincingly drink-me-now wine that will age beautifully.
Listed in James Halliday Top 100 Wines for 2022
The Australain Magazine, November 2022
Enticing spring florals and lime.
Delicate, coiled spring-like ready to expand with time. Classic citrus and mineral tones, all texture and length, vibrant and moreish.
Will age in the long term: 15 years plus.
- James Halliday Top 100 Wines – 2022 Watervale RieslingJames Halliday 2022 Top 100 96 Points 2022 Mount Horrocks Watervale Riesling Very much on song with its white flower, apple and lime blossom aromas. While it isn’t the least uncertain in the mouth, it grows rapidly on the back palate and finish, with palpable structure to its lime-drenched flavours and acidity. Drink to 2035 By James Halliday ...
- Max Allen2022 Mount Horrocks Watervale Riesling Really intense lime fruit powers along the tongue, carrying hints of aniseed and fennel flower, and a line of deep, dense minerality. An utterly classic Watervale riesling. By Max Allen The Financial Review, 31st August 2022
- InDailyMount Horrocks Watervale Riesling 2021 The Clare Rieslings you know – and the ones you need to discover By Tony Love Enticing talc florals and bath salts to begin, lavender and pink rose petals then a citrus zing through the palate, tense yet full of vitality with vintage-reflective acidity that sits in well here. It has youthful exuberance ...
- Australian ClassicMount Horrocks Watervale Riesling 2020 Vintage after vintage, Stephanie Toole from Mount Horrocks produces one of the best dry rieslings from the Clare Valley in South Australia. The 2020 lives up to expectations with great citrus flavours, brilliant acid on the finish and terrific length. This is a perfect after-work refresher, or alternatively an excellent partner ...
- Max AllenMount Horrocks Watervale Riesling 2020 BEST WINES FROM THE 2020 VINTAGE There’s an aromatic quality I often find in young, fresh Clare Valley Riesling that reminds me of the botanical refreshment of a perfect gin and tonic at the end of a hot day: a combination of lime and herbs and a satisfying whisper of bitterness – ...