150 CASES PRODUCED
Just a few hundred metres to the north east of the estate riesling vineyard lies the Mount Horrocks planting of semillon. The soil is weaker; the profile rockier. Maintaining finesse in semillon is an art, starting with vineyard site selection (semillon can be heavy bearing in deeper soils). The grape bunches from this vineyard are small, especially in
a low-yielding season.
The result? A bright, lemony, intense and fresh wine; a hint of spice and creamy texture reflecting its time in French oak barriques. Stephanie believes this is “one of the best”.
Bright pale gold, lime-edged.
Impressively light, elegant and tangy with vibrant lemon, grass, and subtle spicy oak over a layer of restrained creamy texture. Stylish, balanced, long on flavour. An appealing seafood or poultry partner that drinks beautifully now though 2030 or more.Continue reading →
- WBM MagazineMount Horrocks Semillon 2018 By Tyson Stelzer 93 Points The late, cool 2018 season has birthed a particularly refined Mount Horrocks Semillon, charged with the precision of preserved lemon grass and blessed with the toasty complexity of barrel fermentation and maturation. Its cool, high altitude acid drive is more electric than ever, beckoning a long and exciting future. WBM Magazine November/December ...
- Halliday Wine Companion 20202018 Mount Horrocks Semillon 95 Points Hand-picked, crushed and destemmed, fermented in French barriques (40% new), matured on lees for 8 months. A small make (297 dozen) but a good one. The oak is 100% balanced and integrated, leaving the lemony/juicy fruit free to express itself, and it does just that.
- Sunday Telegraph2017 Mount Horrocks Watervale Semillon By John Fordham Unlike non-oaked bobby-dazzlers from the Hunter Valley, Clare Valley semillons are of a different dimension, selecting oak to enhance flavour which, in this case, has led to an attractive savoury, citrus-enriched result. Pristine Clare Valley fruit and smart tinkering from Stephanie Toole deliver five-star enjoyment. Sunday Telegraph 19th October 2018
- Halliday Wine Companion 20192017 Mount Horrocks Semillon 95 Points By Campbell Mattinson Crisp and textural at once. The focus is acute. Lemon curd, citrus, cedar spice and a whisper of herbs. Beautiful wine, for now or for later. James Halliday Wine Companion 2019
- Australian Gourmet Traveller WINE2016 Mount Horrocks Semillon, Clare Valley By Huon Hooke 92 Points This is an excellent young Semillon which emphasises ripe floral aromas combined with subtle use of nutty oak, and no hint of grassiness. The wine is alive and intense in the mouth with a finish of lemon zest and fresh flowers. One of Stephanie Toole’s best yet. Gourmet ...