“…Toole is comfortably among the very finest producers of the variety anywhere in the world…”
Nick Ryan, The Australian September 2020
150 CASES PRODUCED
The site of the Mount Horrocks Semillon, while just a few hundred metres from the Riesling vineyard, is very different. Weaker soil and rockier, the vines struggle even in a ‘normal’ season. Semillon vines need to be challenged if flavoursome wines are the aim. In this case long lingering lemon flavours are complemented by creamy lees complexity and a touch of French oak. Add into that a low-yield season and
you have an exceptional vintage.
Bright pale gold, lime-edged.
Impressively light, elegant and tangy with vibrant lemon, grass, and subtle spicy oak over a layer of restrained creamy texture. Stylish, balanced, long on flavour. An appealing seafood or poultry partner that drinks beautifully now though 2030 or more.Continue reading →
- AustralianMount Horrocks Semillon 2019 “…Toole is comfortably among the very finest producers of the variety anywhere in the world…” Clare Valley semillon could ask for no better ally and advocate than Stephanie Toole. Semillon sits front and centre in the exceptionally strong line-up of wines Toole makes under the Mount Horrocks label; its production, while small (only ...
- The Real ReviewMount Horrocks Semillon 2019 92 Points Good Clare Valley semillon is an underrated white wine. It has a long history, and the region did some pioneering work with oak influence in these white wines long before it became commonplace. Oak can sometimes overwhelm fruit character, but at Mount Horrocks, Stephanie Toole handles it sensitively, creating a great ...
- Halliday Wine Companion 2021Mount Horrocks Semillon 2019 94 Points A warmer vintage to be sure, what this lacks in way of linearity and precision, it gains in terms of amplitude and aromatic complexity: lemon oil and hedgerow segue to ripe quince, all offset by an intoxicating skein of fennel. Almost pastis-like. Nestled seams of oak service the textural opus. Delicious ...
- WBM MagazineMount Horrocks Semillon 2018 By Tyson Stelzer 93 Points The late, cool 2018 season has birthed a particularly refined Mount Horrocks Semillon, charged with the precision of preserved lemon grass and blessed with the toasty complexity of barrel fermentation and maturation. Its cool, high altitude acid drive is more electric than ever, beckoning a long and exciting future. WBM Magazine November/December ...
- Halliday Wine Companion 20202018 Mount Horrocks Semillon 95 Points Hand-picked, crushed and destemmed, fermented in French barriques (40% new), matured on lees for 8 months. A small make (297 dozen) but a good one. The oak is 100% balanced and integrated, leaving the lemony/juicy fruit free to express itself, and it does just that.