“This is my 30th vintage of Cordon Cut. A highly risky and complex process, the making of this wine is very much about seat-of-pants decision making and this is where the experience of 30 vintages certainly helps!” says Stephanie.
The high-risk part comes after the canes that feed the fruit are cut – causing that fruit to concentrate – effectively using the vine as a drying rack for the fruit. Much depends on the weather conditions that follow – sunny and dry conditions work wonders; wet, cold or windy conditions all bring challenges. Stephanie uses intuition to decide the day to harvest.
This is a unique, delicious, concentrated wine that delivers all the hallmarks of riesling – citrus, florals and spice; beautifully expressed through an intense yet perfectly balanced palate and a pristine, clean finish.
Super lively, lifted candied citrus nose, spring florals.
Intense, essence of riesling – orange and lime zest, apricot and musk. Beautifully textured, with a fine acid backbone to balance the rich sweetness, which is not at all cloying.
Age worthy (8-10 years) but impossible to resist right now.Continue reading →
- Max AllenThe Mount Horrocks Cordon Cut, for example, made from riesling grapes that have been left on the vine to shrivel and concentrate their sugar, is unquestionably a wine that can develop and flesh out in the bottle for many years (the rich golden 2005 is still drinking well). But the 2022 ($42 for a 375ml bottle) ...
- WBM MagazineMount Horrocks Cordon Cut Riesling 2020 94 Points It’s not its complexity that sets Mount Horrocks apart among the great sweet Rieslings (as unctuous and bombastic as it is) but the fact that it achieves this with the utmost seamlessness and completeness from the outset. Roast peach, ripe fig and toffee are honed by a refreshing line ...
- The Real ReviewMount Horrocks Cordon Cut Riesling 2019 93 Points By Ralph Kyte-Powell It’s a glittering yellow wine with pungent aromas reminiscent of sweet tropical fruits, flowers and wild honey. The palate is lush and very sweet with good depth, tangy acid balance and tight backbone. The Real Review March 2020
- WBM MagazineMount Horrocks Cordon Cut Riesling 2019 By Tyson Stelzer 96 Points A magnificent Cordon Cut that basks in the concentration of its dry, low-yeilding season, making for a wine at once more succulent and simultaneously more zesty than ever. Its grand complexity cements a delectably enthralling style that perfectly juxtaposes exuberant sweetness with a grand acid line and exceptional ...
- “dessert wine that has it all” WBM MagazineMount Horrocks 2018 Cordon Cut Riesling By Tyson Stelzer 96 Points A scintillating Cordon Cut of glittering acidity, pronounced limestone mineral structure and a panoply of exotic complexity. Apricots, spice, even incense, this is dessert wine that has it all. Yet for all of its enticing complexity, what really elevates this vintage to a new plane are its ...